Why buy fertilizer when you can make, ‘abono’, using resources from your own backyard?
1) Find a location where you’d like to create your compost. My location: outside, near my seed beds, tree nursery and outdoor sink (where I toss food scraps—nitrogen for your compost)
2) Dimension I chose is 1 meter by 1 meter
3) Clear all weeds and dig out the soil, a few centimeters in depth
4) Place a layer of twigs and small branches
7) Poop…from cow, chicken, horse, etc.
My neighbor has plenty of animals. She had a good laugh when I asked her in Guarani if I would be able to use her ‘caca’…
8) Regular soil
9) Food scraps (just remember, less fats from oils, etc—doesn’t compost as well as the other materials)
ADD WATER and mix it up! Your compost will be ready anywhere from 3-12 months.